Content continues to rule most marketing strategies, and there is evidence to support my assertion.
Simply put, content marketing is a crucial aspect of any digital marketing strategy, whether you’re running a small local business or a large multinational corporation.
After all, content is indisputably the very lifeblood upon which the web and social media are based.
Modern SEO, for all intents and purposes, has effectively become optimized content marketing as Google demands and rewards businesses that create content demonstrating Expertise, Authority, and Trustworthiness to the benefit of their customers.
Content marketing involves creating and sharing valuable, relevant, entertaining, and consistent content in various text-based, video, and audio formats.
The primary focus should be on attracting and retaining a clearly defined audience, with the ultimate goal of driving profitable customer action.
But with so much content being produced and shared every day, it’s important to stay updated on the latest trends and best practices in content marketing to keep pace.
To help you do just that, here are 30 content marketing statistics I think you should know:
Content Marketing Usage
How many businesses are leveraging content marketing, and how are they planning to find success?
- According to the Content Marketing Institute, 73% of B2B marketers and 70% of B2C marketers use content marketing as part of their overall marketing strategy.
- 91% of marketing pros surveyed by Semrush achieved success with their content marketing in 2021.
- A B2B Content Marketing Study conducted by CMI found 40% of B2B marketers have a documented content marketing strategy; 33% have a strategy, but it’s not documented, and 27% have no strategy whatsoever.
- Half of all marketers say they outsource some content marketing.
- The pandemic increased content usage by 207%.
Content Marketing Strategy
What strategies are content marketers using or finding to be most effective?
- 83% of marketers believe it’s more effective to create higher quality content less often.
- In a 2022 Statista Research Study of marketers worldwide, 62% of respondents said they believed it was important to be “always on” for their customers, whereas 23% thought content-led communications were most effective for personalized targeting purposes.
Types Of Content
Content marketing was synonymous with posting blogs, but the web and content have evolved into audio, video, interactive, and meta formats.
Here are a few stats on how the various types of content are trending and performing.
- The top three types of content being created by marketing teams in 2022 included videos, blogs, and images.
- Short articles/posts (83%) and videos (61%) are the top two content types that B2C marketers used in the last 12 months. Their use of long-form articles increased to 42% from 22% last year.